About Me

My photo
I am always seeking to make the most of each moment. I love to read, play outside and steal a moment to enjoy my surroundings whenever I can!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Comments4kids



My first student blog to comment on was Taylor's. She is a bird lover. She has two birds, McNugget and Mr. Spock. The post that I first commented on was about her birds. I told Taylor about my dog's Termite and Betty. The second post on Comments4kids that I checked out was also Taylor's. In this post she listed her favorite movies. We have very similar taste in movies actually. I shared one of my most favorite movie titles with Taylor as well. It is really cool to interact in this format with students. It is less personal but seems much more direct.

My last student blog to visit in February was PK2011's post on Mr. Wolfe's Class Blog: http://kidblog.org/MrWolfesClass2/

In PK2011's post she tells about the book Shoe Shine Girl.  She gives a short description of the main idea of the book.  It was a little vague so I asked her a couple of questions.  I'll check back later to see if I get an answer from PK.  I think that posting questions on student's blog posts encourages them to think more about what they are posting.  This is a great idea if you want to draw more information out of a child.  Often they don't seem to know which things to include and asking questions helps define things like a book report or other descriptive writing.

2 comments:

  1. Pamela,

    Thanks for stopping by to visit my kids' class blog today. They always enjoy hearing from new friends. Thank you for asking questions in your comment. I have instructed them to check back for comments and respond, so we will see how she responds.

    To give a little insight, this blog post she did was what we call a "Thinking Stem." In a "Thinking Stem" they are supposed to tell us what they are reading, tell us any one event that has happened in the story (no matter how big or little) and then tell us what it makes them think about using one of the starters: I’m thinking… feeling,… seeing… noticing… or this reminds me of…. It's a relatively short post most of the time unless they make a really strong connection with the text. The idea is to get them used to thinking when they read because we know that making connections with text helps in comprehension. You can see my directions for them here: http://kidblog.org/MrWolfesClass2/mrstephenwolfe/thinking-stem-2/

    Again, thanks for stopping by and good luck with your studies! I think this class is going to give you some amazing tools to use when you graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for posting a response. I like the idea of a thinking stem. I have a seven year old son who wrote a book report this week and I would love it if they would do something in a blog format. Writing and erasing and rewriting is so frustrating for him. I am certainly going to use blogs in my classes.

    ReplyDelete